A Master of Ceremonies (M.C.) is an important person for tying everything together so the day or night runs smoothly whether it be for your wedding, birthday or even a trivia night.
The Master of Ceremonies will:-
- Announce the arrival of the married couple.
- Introduce the speakers.
- Announce the cutting of the cake.
- Announce the bridal waltz.
- Inform the guests when it is time to say farewell to the bridal couple.
Our Black Tie Events Master of Ceremonies (or M.C. as it is often abbreviated to) is also responsible for liaising with the function coordinator and the reception venue to make sure they are prepared for the next activity (for example, that the champagne has been poured prior to the toasts.)
WHO CAN BE MASTER OF CEREMONIES?
The Master of Ceremonies should ideally be someone who:
- Is well known to the bride and groom – and ideally to the bride’s family as well.
- Has the ability to speak confidently so they can keep things moving along with a humorous comment where appropriate.
- Has a great sense of humour.
- Is a confident public speaker and is used to such occasions.
- Has a strong voice and an extrovert personality.
The M.C. can be male or female. Often the Best Man or the Maid of Honour can M.C. if they have the right characteristics.
If you don’t know someone appropriate for the role, the reception centre often has a member of staff who can take on the responsibility. Or you can hire a professional M.C. or ask the DJ to double up as M.C.
WHAT THE MASTER OF CEREMONIES WILL NEED
A good M.C. should be supplied with a list of speakers and the order in which they will be speaking. You should also provide a bit of background on each speaker to enable the M.C. to introduce them properly.
The M.C. should make a point of meeting all the speakers early on at the reception so that when they are introduced there is no confusion about who will be speaking. The M.C. also needs to know who the key people are the reception venue so that they know exactly who to liaise with. For example they may need to cue the musicians or the D.J. before the bridal waltz. Just ask Black Tie Events MC DJ for more information.
THE MASTER OF CEREMONIES SPEECHES
The Master of Ceremonies’ job is to start the speeches on the right note and then ensure the smooth flow from one speaker to another. Their comments should be very short and should not try to take over from the main speakers.
You can relax and enjoy the celebration of your Special Day knowing that Black Tie Events MC DJ has extensive experience and will ensure your reception is a huge success!